Out with the Old, in with the New Taylor Clamp
While looking for ways to increase our production efficiency we decided to update some of our gluing equipment. We have replaced our old Taylor Clamp machine with a newer version. As you can see from the pictures, this is a machine that clamps together multiple pieces of wood in a sort of Ferris wheel fashion. The old version has a similar configuration but there are a few key differences that will really save us time. The old version was pneumatic and slow; the new version is hydraulic and much quicker. The old version would only take pieces up to 8’ 6”. If we needed a stile, rail, or sill that was over that length then it had to be done by hand; which had an extensive set up time. The new machine can clamp together a piece up to 10’ 6” and has more ‘sections’ to take more pieces.
We have added other new items to our shop recently: A new screw driven compressor, a new 5 axis CNC (see our other post) and a new additional dust collection system. These are all welcome upgrades to our shop.
Our New CNC
CNC stands for Computerized Numerical Control. A simplified explanation: A computer, by way of multiple programs, controls a sort of ‘arm’ that moves on an axis (or in this case five), selects a tool and uses it on the object that is secured to the table. This will be our shop’s second 5 axis CNC. Yes, we bought a second CNC machine. Our new machine is fully automated and has a pod table. Our older machine is partially automated and has a nesting table instead.
The journey of the 18,000 pound machine started in Italy where it was made, assembled and put into a container. After a long trip via water, the machine made it to Kauai. A machine that size needs a lot of space around it for the maneuvering of it via truck and forklift. We had to move our wide belt sander, some of our air lines and more. After being removed from the container, it was separated into two deliveries. The pictures above show a sampling of how it got into our shop. After getting it off its’ giant crate and into place, it had to be carefully connected to the new lines we ran to it for air, electric and a dedicated vacuum system. Then a technician flew in to do his part of the installation and programing. It has been a long process but will be worth the work once it is up and running!
The Kilauea Lighthouse Restoration Project
In 2012 we were asked to do a restoration project for Kilauea Point’s historic lighthouse. We were given the task of recreating the wooden double-hung windows from the original 1913 plans. We were delighted to be a part of this project and excited to be invited to Centennial Celebration in May of 2013. These are some of the pictures we took while there.